Carrot & Apple breakfast muffins
It's Sunday and I want to be prepared this week for the doubtless nonsense the forthcoming week will bring, so I raid the pantry and put together a breakfast that the kids will love and can grab quickly when we have just spent 20 minutes looking for a hairbrush and a shoe, and I can relax to know the kids are well-fuelled for their busy school day. I'm also able to sneak in the ingredients that my children may refuse normally; such as pumpkin seeds in this instance. These are rich in fats and minerals that are vital for healthy growth, repair and brain function.
This recipe can easily be adapted to suit all the school and family needs - between us we are cow's-milk free, egg-free, vegetarian, vegetable nazi and nut-free!
You can find this recipe on Myfitness pal to add to your food diary and for full nutritional information. Search for: Healthy Carrot & Apple Spelt Muffins in the recipe sectipon.
· 1 1/2 flax eggs or 2 organic eggs
· 60 ml olive oil
· 1 large mashed ripe banana
· 60 ml maple syrup
· 2 finely grated apple (I used organic Braeburn as our family favourite)
· 1/2 tsp sea salt
· 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
· 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
· 100 ml coconut milk (you could use any ‘milk’ of your liking)
· 120 g grated carrot
· 60 g organic jumbo porridge oats
· 180 g spelt flour
1. Prepare flax eggs in a large mixing bowl and preheat oven to fan assisted 190C
2. Prepare muffin tin with cases or lightly grease them.
3. Add to the eggs; mashed banana, maple syrup, olive oil and whisk to combine.
4. Next add baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and whisk to combine.
5. Add milk of choice, and stir.
6. Add grated carrot and grated fresh apple and stir.
7. Add oats and spelt flour blend and stir.
8. Divide evenly among 12 muffin cases, filling them all the way up to the top.
9. Bake for around 20-25 minutes, or until deep golden brown and a toothpick/chopstick/ whatever you have handy inserted into the centre comes out clean. When you press on the top it shouldn’t feel too bouncey so don’t be afraid of over baking! The spelt blend just takes longer to bake.
10. Remove from oven and cool on a wire.
11. Once cooled, store in a covered container or bag at room temp to keep fresh. Freeze after that to keep fresh.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 12 muffins)
· Calories: 177
· Fat: 8g
· Sodium: 247mg
· Carbohydrates: 23g
· Fibre: 5g
· Sugar: 7g
· Protein: 5g